Why Does the app take so long to start?

• Ever since a recent update, it takes 5-10 seconds for Notepad++ to launch. Anyone know what could be causing this? Is this normal? The whole reason I use Notepad++ is because it’s lightweight and launches fast so I can jot things down. This is a deal breaker. Thanks in advance for any help.

• No it is not normal. It is possible it may be due to a certain plugin taking a while to load (or lots of plugins). Try starting it with plugins disabled to see if that helps.

• Thanks for the suggestion. I think I figured out why it’s doing this, but I don’t know how to fix it. The app is installed on my OS drive, which is an SSD, but it seems Notepad++ is waiting for my other drives, which are regular HDD to spin up before it launches. Anyone know what it’s looking for and how to stop that check?

• Hi Colin,

check Menu: Settings -> Preferences -> Recent Files History if Don’t check at launch time is checked (✓). Also are you saving your sessions? Therefore opening many files on startup?

Still I don’t think it would be problem. Currently I have Notepad++ (v6.8.5) installed on normal HDD with many plugins, still it won’t take more then 1-2 seconds to start even with opening many files from my last session. So problem would be some specific plugin I guess?

So try using portable version of Notepad++ to check how it works with clean settings. Then try change settings to current, and add plugins one by one (ore by few) to check what exactly is causing delay.

Best regards,
    Tomas.

• @tomas-chrastina said:

Currently I have Notepad++ (v6.8.5) installed on normal HDD with many plugins, still it won’t take more then 1-2 seconds to start even with opening many files from my last session. So problem would be some specific plugin I guess?

Your main disk is an HDD, which is VERY PROBABLY speed up already, his is and SSD and the second one is probably sleeping.

Another easy way to find out if you are loading data from another disk is looking into your config.xml file ( C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++ )
    Or even better do a Find in Files on that directory and search for your different drive letters like D:\ or E:\

• Hi.
    If Clickable Link setting - enabled, and my document contains many collapsed folds with links inside, Notepad++ (v6.8.5) starts slowly.

• @recklessWriting said:

Your main disk is an HDD, which is VERY PROBABLY speed up already, his is and SSD and the second one is probably sleeping.

Sure I understand. My point was, that startup of Notepad++ should be fast enough in normal conditions, even while loading many files. I think it’s obvious that it’s trying to read something from secondary drive. So there’s need investigation what is it.

@colin-wood: Try if you can get information from Notepad++ configuration files, or playing with settings or even clean install. If you won’t be able ti identify source of problem, I suggest to try Process Monitor from Sysinternals Suite and check what files are accessed by Notepad++ while it’s waiting for secondary drive.

Best regards,
    Tomas