New to HTML

• Looks to me like this is the place to be right now! I am trying notepad for the first time and I am trying to learn html for the first time. Here is some code that I am trying to understand:

<HTML><META HTTP-EQUIV=“content-type” CONTENT=“text/html;charset=utf-8”>

Is there someone that can help me understand this? does “content-type” mean this is where I place whatever I want to say? I pasted it into Notepad and tried to view it as source, but nothing happened!

• If you are just learning HTML and CSS3 you may want to check out https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/html5-css3-fundamentals-development-for- , this is a great video course.

• You should also go here: http://www.w3schools.com/

• @Steven-Nicholls

As already recommended, it is a good idea to start with a guided
    tutorial if you want to learn a new programming language.

To answer your question,

Is there someone that can help me understand this? does “content-type” mean this is where I >place whatever I want to say?

No, you set a meta attribute, which is basically the information for your browser
    that this site has utf-8 encoded text.

I pasted it into Notepad and tried to view it as source, but nothing happened!

The line itself, although it is incomplete, is the source.
    If you do plain html coding I recommend installing the html preview plugin,
    can be done via plugin manager, which, as the name suggests, gives you a preview of your code. So you see what changes on the “site” when changing code instantly(more or less).
    Simple example. After installing the plugin, goto plugins->Preview HTML and select Preview HTML. Open a new document, select HTML as language and put the following text into it.

<HTML>

<head>
            <title>first html site</title>
        </head>   

<body>
            show something
        </body>

</HTML>

Cheers
    Claudia