Add line of text to beginning of multiple files

• I have 52 files that I need to add a line of text to each one at the very beginning of the file every 2 or 3 days. I want to load this entire folder into Notepadd ++ and do a find and replace in all documents. I have figured out that I can add this line of text before each LINE by using find=^ and replace=lineoftext\r. However, I do not need the line of text after each line in the files. I only need to add this one line of text to the beginning (top) of each file. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? Thanks in advance for your help with Notepad ++.

• @Kevin-Hemken

sorry, don’t understand your question.
    At the end - do you want to have files which only
    have one line content?
    Meaning you wanna empty the file first and then add a line? And this for each file in question?

Cheers
    Claudia

• I do not want to delete any data. I simply want to add a line of text to the beginning of each file.

If the text file is…

blah blah blah
    blah blah blah

I want it to be …

add line of text here
    blah blah blah
    blah blah blah

• @Kevin-Hemken

I see
    in find repalce dialog you need to tick regular expression AND . matches newline

find what:(.*)
    replace with:WHATEVERTEXT\r\n\1

(.*) find everything (if the dot matches newline has been ticked)

\r\n is the normal eol for windows
    \1 represents what has been matched by (.*)

Cheers
    Claudia

• Thanks. Works perfect!

• Hello Kevin, Claudia and All,

An other possibility would be :

SEARCH (?s).*

REPLACE WHATEVERTEXT\r\n$0

NOTES :

• The (?s) modifier forces the regex engine to consider that the meta character dot . matches, absolutely, any single character, whatever the . matches new line option is set or unset

• The $0 form , in replacement, stands for the entire searched regex, that is to say, the actual contents of each scanned file

REMARK :

• Due to a N++ regex engine bug, about backward assertions, we cannot use, for instance, the \A assertion, which, normally, represents the very beginning of a file. IF it would have been possible, the S/R would have been, simply :

SEARCH : \A

REPLACE : WHATEVERTEXT\r\n

Therefore, the Claudia’s work-around, is a nice solution to that bug !!

Best Regards,

guy038

• Hi @guy038,

nice one ( or two :-)) but where did you find the ?s ?
    I can’t seem to see it in the official docs.

Cheers
    Claudia

• Search: ^\A(.*)$
    Replace by: ANYTHING \r$1

or

Search: ((?s:.*))
    Replace by: ANYTHING \n\1