Pin files

• Hi, I think notepad++ must have the option to pin files that each person uses frequently.

So we don’t need to be searching the same file after open many others.

TIA.

• Notepad++ has sessions.
    I guess that most people either use “remember current session” or don’t use sessions at all but you are free to define a manual session with the files you want “pinned” and just load it on start.

Just for the sport, if you want a new feature take the time to provide a full definition.
    What does “pinning” mean?
    What should happen when you close pinned file?
    What should happen when you reopen a file that was previously pinned?
    What should happen on restart? For pinned files? For unpinned files?
    What should happen when pinned file is removed from disk? Changed on disk?
    What should be the visual hint for pinning? Does tab ordering change due to pinning?

• There are many examples of pinning files, at least for Windows programs. I am using the “Classic Shell” with Windows 10 and I am not sure how much of that is the same for others but for me I just right-click a program in the Start Menu and select “Pin to Start Menu”. From that moment on, the program is at the top of the Start Menu. Also, for the Taskbar, I just right-click and choose “Pin to Taskbar” and from that moment on the program always exists in the Taskbar, even before it is executed.

As for “What should happen when you close pinned file” and “What should happen when you reopen a file that was previously pinned” , nothing; nothing differently at least. A pinned file would always exist in the most recently used list.

As for “What should happen on restart? For pinned files? For unpinned files” I don’t understand the questions.

As for “What should happen when pinned file is removed from disk? Changed on disk?”, some programs just say they can’t find the file. A better solution is to ask if the file should be removed from the list. That can be done for all files in the recently used list, not just pinned ones.

In my opinion, Notepad++ can really benefit from an ability to open files that we specify we want to always have available. The option to pin files to the MRU list would be a good option but I think there are better ways that I will describe elsewhere. If I figure out how to write plugins (I have been programming for nearly half a century) then I might write something.

But really, I think there are plenty of examples of what pinning is.

• @SamuelCalifornia Totally agree, and it was brought up on this thread: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/community/topic/23/pinning-locking-a-tab, which also gives some good implementation guidelines / use-cases.