Possible EOL Conversion Persistence Bug



  • I’ve got a list of domains that I block and use for dnsmasq. The list is created in Notepad++ and when I first created it, I clicked the Edit button, pointed to the EOL Conversion menu item, and then clicked the Unix (LF) menu item. The list appeared perfectly when I checked it in my router using the vi editor.

    At times I add new domains to the list, but unless I go through the EOL Conversion and change the document to Windows (CR LF) and then back to Unix (LF) the new domains added to the list end up with the Windows EOL settings.

    I keep thinking that since I had already set it to Linux, it would keep it that way, but it is not persistent. Will you please fix the issue? Thanks!

    EDIT: I should note that when I add new domains, I use Notepad++ again since I am uploading the file to a site where it is distributed to several physically separate routers.



  • @Bill-Justesen

    How do you add “new domains” to the list in this file? If you use the normal (copy and) paste mechanism then Scintilla will, at paste time, convert any inconsistent line-endings to the current type. Or do you do something else? AFAIK there are no current bugs along these lines involving line-endings.



  • I manually press the Enter key on the keyboard to generate the new line and then manually enter the domains. I very rarely paste the domains on the blank line.



  • @Bill-Justesen

    Can you go to the ? menu in N++ and do Debug Info... and paste the results here…



  • Notepad++ v7.5.6 (32-bit)
    Build time : Mar 19 2018 - 00:26:59
    Path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
    Admin mode : OFF
    Local Conf mode : OFF
    OS : Windows 10 (64-bit)
    Plugins : ccc.dll ClipboardHelper.dll CodeAlignmentNpp.dll ComparePlugin.dll CsvQuery.dll CustomizeToolbar.dll DSpellCheck.dll GrepBugsPluginNpp.dll HTMLTag_unicode.dll JsMapParser.NppPlugin.dll LightExplorer.dll linefilter2.dll mimeTools.dll NotepadStarterPlugin.dll NppColumnSort.dll NppConverter.dll nppcrypt.dll NppExec.dll NppExport.dll NPPJSONViewer-win32.dll nppRegEx.dll NppTextFX.dll NppXmlTreeviewPlugin.dll PluginManager.dll Tidy2.dll XMLTools.dll



  • Scott, do you have any other ideas? I appreciate your responses so far!



  • @Bill-Justesen

    Sorry, I was away for a few days…

    My first thought upon seeing your debug info is that you have a lot of plugins. One (or some quirky interaction) may be causing your problem. If I were you, I might try either a) removing them all and adding back in one at a time, checking for the issue in between the additions, or b) removing them one at a time and testing for this EOL weirdness as you do that.



  • I’m running into the same issue. I have disabled all plugins and have tried both Edit > EOL Conversion > Linux (LF) and manually replacing using search and replace.

    Debug info:
    Notepad++ v7.5.6 (32-bit)
    Build time : Mar 19 2018 - 00:26:59
    Path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
    Admin mode : OFF
    Local Conf mode : OFF
    OS : Windows 10 (64-bit)
    Plugins : none



  • @Bill-Justesen , @whitegryphon

    With the confirmation provided by whitegryphon perhaps it is best to open an issue on this if one isn’t already. Will one of you do that?



  • @Bill-Justesen and @whitegryphon ,

    Please try the following experiment.
    0) Open Notepad++ without plugins

    1. New File
    2. View > Show Symbol > Show End of Line
    3. Edit > EOL Conversion > Unix (LF)
    4. Enter a couple lines of text
    5. Save
    6. Close file
    7. Open File
    8. Check if it’s still Unix (LF), and whether it’s still showing just LF for the EOL character



  • @PeterJones, I tried your suggestion and I also did it again without the symbols showing for EOL. Everything seems to be okay. I have an auto-update set for Notepad++ through Ninite but I noticed the version hasn’t changed. What did change, however, was an update to FileZilla.

    @whitegryphon, try checking out the issue now after updating FileZilla, if that is what you are using. Mine appears to have been fixed with the latest version…


Log in to reply