How to get breakpoint list ?

• @Gregory-D

In my notes on bookmark manipulation I have this thread and specifically THIS POST noted.
    The logic flow there can probably help you.

• @Gregory-D said in How to get breakpoint list ?:

you should have just said, "no it’s not too much complicated, you just have to get the current scintilla, like that [little code] and retrieve the bookmark for each line like that [little code].

I don’t know…
    Nobody here is going to “spoon feed” you every little detail.
    If you’re a plugin writer, a certain level of “sophistication” is assumed.
    Pointing you to the documentation should be enough.
    Of course, I did point you to the documentation, and a specific function in those docs, but then in your follow-on posting you seemed to ignore that and went with a different function…
    I’m not sure what to think.
    I wish you good luck with your endeavors.

• I just need help for notepad++ plugin development in c++, you redirect me to scintilla api documentation, which has nothing to do with c++.

@Alan-Kilborn said in How to get breakpoint list ?:

I did point you to the documentation, and a specific function in those docs, but then in your follow-on posting you seemed to ignore that and went with a different function

Sorry I followed your link and see that SCI_MARKERGET returns the bookmark at a specific line, perfect for a test. I tested and it doesn’t work. But even if you’re convinced I’m a bad programmer, you think I would have more chance with SCI_MARKERNEXT that seems more advanced.
    If you tell me why I get “0”, I’ll can understand and make both work, but you doesn’t seem to know c++, then just tell me that.

• @Michael-Vincent Thank you for the code, what I don’t understand is how to turn that in c++, the functino is ::SendMessage(getCurrScintilla(), <MESSAGE>, wParam, lParam)), then I need to put pos, mask and the result in wparam and lparam, 3 parameters into 2 ?

long line = 0;
    int marker = 0;
    ::SendMessage(curScintilla, SCI_MARKERGET, line, (LPARAM)&marker);

This is :

long line = 0;
    int marker=::SendMessage(curScintilla, SCI_MARKERGET, line, 0);

Right ?

• @Gregory-D

I think maybe you’re not connecting the dots. The Scintilla docs @Alan-Kilborn linked are crucial since the Notepad++ editing component is based on Scintilla. As for “translating” my NppExec script to C++:

[...]

HWND getCurScintilla()
    {
        int which = -1;
        ::SendMessage( nppData._nppHandle, NPPM_GETCURRENTSCINTILLA, 0,
                       ( LPARAM )&which );
        return ( which == 0 ) ? nppData._scintillaMainHandle :
               nppData._scintillaSecondHandle;
    }

[...]
    int line = 0;
    int mask = 1<<24;
    SendMessage(getCurScintilla(), SCI_MARKERNEXT, line, mask);

That should get you the first bookmark since N++ uses 24 as the bookmark marker and thus bitshitfted 24 is the mask the Scintilla call requires. You’ll need to put your own C++ code / logic around that to determine if you’ve found them all and how to find the next one, but again, my NppExec “pseudo” code should help you with that - as will the Scintilla docs.

Cheers.

• @Michael-Vincent said in How to get breakpoint list ?:

SendMessage(getCurScintilla(), SCI_MARKERNEXT, line, mask);

sorry:

int markerAtLine = ::SendMessage(getCurScintilla(), SCI_MARKERNEXT, line, mask);

Cheers.

• @Michael-Vincent said in How to get breakpoint list ?:

The Scintilla docs @Alan-Kilborn linked are crucial since the Notepad++ editing component is based on Scintilla. As for “translating” my NppExec script to C++:

I’m sure about that, but what Alan Kilborn doesn’t understand is that my problem is not about Scintilla api that is documented but with the c++ conversion.
    Then right code is:

long line = 1;
    				int mask = (1 << 24);
    				int result=::SendMessage(curScintilla, SCI_MARKERNEXT, line, mask);

You helped me, thanks.

Then right code is:

Yup - methinks that’s correct.

Cheers.

• Tangential to the topic, but not quite off-topic:

I started working with an older version of Visual Studio recently, due to what is used for certain projects at work.

I notice that its breakpointing symbol is VERY similar to Notepad’s bookmark image, the main difference being coloring:

f93d525e-93a7-4a2c-9890-145ab778a422-image.png

In the past I’ve had a passing thought of “where did the design for the N++ bookmark come from?” as it isn’t a stock Scintilla indicator symbol like those shown HERE (with a little “scrolldown” from where that link goes).

Perhaps this “red” older-Visual-Studio BP symbol (shown above) was the origin of the N++ bookmark symbol.

The obvious stock Scintilla choice (had it been used) would have been:

06636eee-70c1-41af-95d2-0980fe38644f-image.png

BTW, current VS (2019) BP symboling is much less “fancy”; appears rather flat:

0142c89a-c1d3-45d0-b448-5f7675597295-image.png

• @Alan-Kilborn said in How to get breakpoint list ?:

The obvious stock Scintilla choice (had it been used) would have been:

Do you have NppExec (or Python Script) that allows a script to run at startup?

SCI_SENDMSG SCI_MARKERDEFINE 24 SC_MARK_BOOKMARK
    SCI_SENDMSG SCI_MARKERSETFORE 24 255
    SCI_SENDMSG SCI_MARKERSETBACK 24 255

(Python Scrip implementation will vary ;-)

51712cda-f98a-4ef9-a53f-1ff0492dc7ab-image.png

Cheers.

• @Michael-Vincent

Yes, that is good information.
    The Pythonscript implementation is very similar and straightforward.

BTW, I wasn’t complaining about Notepad++'s default bookmark symbol image in any way. Just wondering/commenting on its possible origins. It hadn’t occurred to me that the origins might be with an earlier VS version.

• @Alan-Kilborn said in How to get breakpoint list ?:

BTW, I wasn’t complaining about Notepad++'s default bookmark symbol image in any way

Didn’t think you were :-) it was more of an exercise to see if I could do it. I have an NppExec ‘marker’ script that adds different colored “bookmarks” by placing normal bookmarks and then converting them. So I though it’d be possible to just change the default symbol / color.

Cheers.