Search in target is sometimes failing
Michael Vincent last edited by
Okay, thanks, as I said, I have limited experience with any of this stuff. I have only just started to program and I really appreciate you helping me out.
I understand, I’m not a programmer but have muddled my way through Scintilla docs and other N++ plugins and been able to hack together some working code.
@Ekopalypse has it right about Unicode / ANSI. By default, all N++ plugins are compiled for Unicode as N++ no longer published an ANSI version. So the difference in your plugin when handling text in N++ documents (like searching for it) is to expect Unicode.
You’ll probably see character strings in N++ plugins initialized with:
since this can be ANSI or Unicode depending on compiler switches and that was needed back when there was an ANSI N++.
@Ekopalypse So how would I prevent it from overflowing?
@Ekopalypse As I said, I am very new at this so I thought I would just make sure I am understanding you correctly. I am assuming I use LONG_PTR instead of int, correct?
There are several possible data types that can be used, but without knowing your code and concept, it is hard to say what to use.
Personally, I would use INT_PTR, but if your result is ever converted to long, I would probably use LONG_PTR.
Peter Goddard last edited by Peter Goddard
@Ekopalypse Would you mind looking at my code for one part of my plugin that is failing?
Sorry, but there is a small, but unfortunately insurmountable problem,
I cannot program in C++, I am a python junkie :-)
@Ekopalypse No problem. Maybe you could just confirm that this is a memory issue for me? After restarting notepad my plugin seems to work and I can use it over and over again until it fails and then won’t work until I restart notepad. I’m pretty sure this means it’s a memory problem, and I don’t really know where to go from here
until it fails and then won’t work until I restart notepad
yes, that could mean that you have an overflow.
There are several ways to find out what is causing it.
Old school, use print statements in your code and check certain parameters.
More modern, use Visual Studios features like Analyzer and Debugger to see what is going on.
I assume you are using Visual Studio for development,
there is one setting I would suggest to activate, it is to treat every warning as an error.
(Project->Properties->Configuration Properties->C/C+±>General->Treat warnings as errors->Yes)
Thanks, I’ll try that.
There is another thing I have noticed and I wonder if you could help me with it. The text file I am working on is around 40’000 lines long, and as I said before I am formatting small parts of that file and eventually it will start to mess up. What I have noticed though, is that when I copy and paste a part of the original text file to a separate notepad tab and try to format it, then once it’s formatted it, delete it and then repeat the process, the formatting process never messes up. Could it be that the length of the text file has something to do with how many times I can use my plugin on it?
yes, could be but to me it sounds more like an issue with the “new” content.
For example, let’s say we have a text like this
This is a sampl of a text which has two wrong words named sampl.
Now let’s assume your plugin is used to auto correct wrong words.
If your code logic would be
- find all instances of the wrong word
- Loop over the results and replace with the correct word
then it would fail as you invalidate the position of the second sampl
word by replacing the first one.
In such a scenario replacing from bottom to top would avoid this.
Of course, there are multiple other ways to solve this issue as well.
I see what you mean, but I don’t think that applies to my situation as when my plugin fails, I can simply reopen notepad and continue to format some more content until it fails again. If this issue was happening to every instance of content all of the time then I could see why this makes sense.
yes, it could be that this is not the issue, but a new npp start also means that your data is not the same as before,
but you certainly have more information to evaluate this than I do,
I am fishing here more or less in the dark.
Can you describe in pseudocode what you are doing, maybe this could be helpful to find the issue.
Sure. This plugin just places a “\n” infront every case of “<” in the selected area.
Set the target search area to the area that has been selected.
Look for the first case of “<” in the targeted area.
While a, “<” can be found, get the placement of, “<”, insert a “\n” at that spot. Set the beginning of the target search area just ahead of where “<” is now found and increase the end of the target search area by 1. Search again for the next “<” in the target search area
From your explanation this doesn’t work.
You need to advance the start by 2, correct?
Assuming the following, 0123… are positions made visible.
position of < is 2 correct?
Insert c at that position results in
and if you set the start now to position+1 (=3) it will re-find the same <
Sure this is what you do?
My pseudocode would look like this
target = selected text target_end = last position of selected text position = search in target for '<' while position > -1: insert char '\n' at position reset target_start to position+2 and target_end to target_end+1 position = search in target for '<'
Sorry, I am increasing the start by 2, I just didn’t clarify that. I meant that when I said, “Set the beginning of the target search area just ahead of where “<” is now found”. My mistake. I know my code works because when I select the text,
it results in
Sorry for the confusion
Peter Goddard last edited by Peter Goddard
@Ekopalypse Of course, my code works, until it breaks liked we talked about before
Actually, it doesn’t have to be a debug build, a release build should do it as well.