Function list does not Work With VBS-files / VB-Files.

• Hi

I have followed this guide:
    Notepad++ VB FunctionList

This Test Code is working:

Module myfunctions
       Function factorial(ByVal num As Integer) As Integer
          ' local variable declaration */
          Dim result As Integer

If (num = 1) Then
             Return 1
          Else
             result = factorial(num - 1) * num
             Return result
          End If
       End Function
       Sub Main()
          'calling the factorial method
          Console.WriteLine("Factorial of 6 is : {0}", factorial(6))
          Console.WriteLine("Factorial of 7 is : {0}", factorial(7))
          Console.WriteLine("Factorial of 8 is : {0}", factorial(8))
          Console.ReadLine()
       End Sub
    End Module

This file from my VB-Project is not working?:

Public Class Activate

Private Sub btnOK_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnOK.Click
            If Main.Chk(EnteredKey.Text) Then
                My.Settings.KEY = EnteredKey.Text
                My.Settings.Save()
                Main.A = True
                MessageBox.Show("Key OK Thanks!", "MD", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Asterisk)
                Me.Hide()
            Else
                MessageBox.Show("Key Incorrect!", "MD, MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
            End If
        End Sub

Private Sub btnCancel_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnCancel.Click
            Me.Hide()
        End Sub
    End Class

Here is the vb.xml file used for the functionList:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<NotepadPlus>
    	<functionList>
    		<!-- ========================================================= [ VB ] -->
    		<parser
    			displayName="Visual Basic (.NET|Script|for Applications)"
    			id         ="vb_function"
    			commentExpr="(?m:((?&lt;=&apos;).*?$)|((?i:REM)([\t ].*?)?$))"
    		>
    			<classRange
    				mainExpr="(?s:(?&lt;SCOPE&gt;(?i:CLASS|TYPE)).*?(?i:END[\t ]\k&lt;SCOPE&gt;))"
    				displayMode="node" >
    				<className>
    					<nameExpr expr="(?i:CLASS|TYPE)[\t ]+(?:[A-Za-z_][\w]*\b)(?:.*?[\r\n])" />
    					<nameExpr expr="[\t ]+(?:[A-Za-z_][\w]*\b)" />
    					<nameExpr expr="[A-Za-z_][\w]*" />
    				</className>
      <function
        mainExpr="(?m:^[\t ]*(?i:(?:(?:PUBLIC|PRIVATE|PROTECTED|FRIEND|PROTECTED FRIEND)[\t ]+)?(?:(?:STATIC|SHARED|SHADOWS|OVERRIDABLE|OVERRIDES|READONLY|WRITEONLY)[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$))" >
        <functionName>
          <funcNameExpr expr="(?i:(?:(?:PUBLIC|PRIVATE|PROTECTED|FRIEND|PROTECTED FRIEND)[\t ]+)?(?:STATIC[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$)"/>
          <funcNameExpr expr="(?i:(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$)"/>
          <funcNameExpr expr="(?i:(?:GET|LET|SET)[\t ]+)?[A-Za-z_][\w]*(?=[\t ]*\()"/>
        </functionName>
      </function>
    </classRange>
    <function
        mainExpr="^[\t ]*(?i:(?:(?:PUBLIC|PRIVATE|PROTECTED|FRIEND|PROTECTED FRIEND)[\t ]+)?(?:(?:STATIC|(?:DECLARE(?:[\t ]+(ANSI|UNICODE|AUTO))?))[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$)"
        displayMode="$functionName">
      <functionName>
      <nameExpr expr="(?i:(?:(?:PUBLIC|PRIVATE|PROTECTED|FRIEND|PROTECTED FRIEND)[\t ]+)?(?:(?:STATIC|(?:DECLARE(?:[\t ]+(?:ANSI|UNICODE|AUTO))?))[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$)"/>
        <nameExpr expr="(?i:(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$)"/>
        <nameExpr expr="(?i:(?:GET|LET|SET)[\t ]+)?[A-Za-z_][\w]*(?i:[\t ]+(LIB|ALIAS)[\t ]+[\w&quot;\.]+)*(?=[\t ]*\()"/>
      </functionName>
    </function>
    </parser>
    	</functionList>
    </NotepadPlus>

Seems like something in the VB.xml is not handling the vb file from VS correctly?

BRGRDS

• @Robin-Melin said in Function list does not Work With VBS-files / VB-Files.:

Seems like something in the VB.xml is not handling the vb file from VS correctly?

Are you sure you got everything right? Because I just updated my vb.xml to match the one you pasted, then restarted Notepad++, and got the following when I use your second blah.vb file…

ef7f8096-6abd-449a-ae14-055bef2d57b1-image.png

Could you share your ?-menu Debug Info (mine is here):

Notepad++ v7.9.4   (64-bit)
    Build time : Mar 15 2021 - 01:03:10
    Path : C:\usr\local\apps\notepad++\notepad++.exe
    Admin mode : OFF
    Local Conf mode : ON
    OS Name : Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit) 
    OS Version : 1903
    OS Build : 18362.1256
    Current ANSI codepage : 1252
    Plugins : ComparePlugin.dll ExtSettings.dll HexEditor.dll LuaScript.dll MarkdownViewerPlusPlus.dll mimeTools.dll NppConsole.dll NppConverter.dll NppEditorConfig.dll NppExec.dll NppExport.dll NppFTP.dll NppUISpy.dll PreviewHTML.dll PythonScript.dll QuickText.dll TagLEET.dll XMLTools.dll 

Also, what is the full path of your VB.xml file?

• Thanks for the reply,

Here’s my ?-menu info:

Notepad++ v7.9.1   (64-bit)
    Build time : Nov  2 2020 - 01:07:46
    Path : C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
    Admin mode : OFF
    Local Conf mode : OFF
    OS Name : Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) 
    OS Version : 2004
    OS Build : 19041.867
    Current ANSI codepage : 1252
    Plugins : mimeTools.dll NppConverter.dll NppExport.dll XMLTools.dll 

Here’s the path to the vb.xml:

"C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\functionList\vb.xml"

Here’s how it look with the blah.vb (Nothing in the functionlist):
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 14.05.36.png

Here’s how it looks with the other VB file (that is working):
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 14.05.45.png

BRGRDS

• @Robin-Melin ,

Unfortunately, you gave a snippet rather than a full window in your screenshots, so I cannot see the lower-left of the status bar, which would tell us whether or not your files are being properly interpreted as Visual Basic code. I notice you are using unsaved files, so for those to show up as Visual Basic, you would have to have manually set Language > Visual Basic. I mean, based on the colors shown, it looks like it’s selected, but I have to ask.

I just did a brand new unzip of v7.9.1 portable, removed doLocalConf.xml so that it used %AppData% instead, and copied over the vb.xml and overrideMap.xml to %AppData%\Notepad++\functionList\ folder. I then ran the v7.9.1 executable and opened up my new1.vb from the previous example. The screenshot here shows it’s working for me:
    328ed8a7-874f-4a46-8038-aa23262383b8-image.png

If I create a new file, and assign Language > Visual Basic, and paste the same text in, nothing happens right away and the Function List box is empty, like you showed. So then I hit the refresh double-arrow-circle button 08e36558-01ed-40be-8f64-fc1e1c3bcba3-image.png , and after the reload, it shows:
    b0d05c3f-9bf5-4627-98b3-3adda87348d3-image.png

So it’s working for me.

The one thing I notice about yours is that your username is Admin (based on "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\functionList\vb.xml", but that Notepad++ doesn’t think it’s in administrator mode. Your everyday user might be called Admin, but I thought I’d ask to make sure, because maybe Notepad++ is looking in a different folder for its %AppData%\Notepad++ settings.

If that’s not it, would you mind trying a portable version to verify it can work on your system: download the zipfile for v7.9.1 64bit; unzip to a folder with write access (like a folder on your desktop); then copy your vb.xml and overrideMap.xml into the ...unzippath...\notepad++\functionList\ folder, and run Notepad++ from in there. Also, for this experiment, use saved .vb files, rather than relying on new 1 tabs.

If anyone else has any debug hints, feel free to chime in… Everything I do shows “it works for me”, so I’m not sure why it’s not working for @Robin-Melin.

• @PeterJones said in Function list does not Work With VBS-files / VB-Files.:

%AppData%\Notepad++\functionList\

I Tried the standalone version, and it started to worked:)
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 21.18.49.png

For a vb script file where Sub’s and Functions don’t have () (like the below example) it does not work is this easy to fix?

sub commonOnchange
    on error resume next
    	if (document.readyState = "complete") then	
    		if window.external.Application.environment.id = 110 then
    			dbsPath = page.GetStyleClassProperty("File","Filename")
    		elseif window.external.Application.environment.id = 500 then
    			dbsPath = page.GetStyleClassProperty("eFile","Filename")
    		end if
    	End if
    end sub

sub OnSelectStart
    dim IndName
    on error resume next
    	InpName=window.event.SrcElement.TagName
    	if IndName <> "IN" and InpName<>"TEXT" then returnvalue = false
    end sub

Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 21.30.27.png

• @Robin-Melin ,

Sorry, when I look at the regex used for the function names, it sure looks to me like it should match the subs whether they’ve got parenthetical arguments or not.

@MAPJe71 or @guy038 (or anyone else who can see what I cannot), could you lend your function list and/or regex expertise?

With the simplified VB file to

Public Class AnotherActivate

Private Sub btnOK_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnOK.Click
        End Sub

Private Sub btnCancel_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnCancel.Click
        End Sub

Private Sub btnCancel_NoArgs
        End Sub
    End Class

sub commonOnchange
    end sub

sub OnSelectStart
    end sub

sub withParens(blah)
    end sub

we would like all 6 subroutines to be listed in the function list viewer.

I tried with both the vb.xml that @Robin-Melin quoted, and with @MAPJe71’s vb-3.0.FL.xml, and neither one of them grabbed the functions/subs that don’t have parentheses.

I thought that the (?:\(|$) at the end of the expressions would look for either an open-parenthesis or the end of line, and that it would thus allow either style of sub definition. So I don’t know how I’m misunderstanding the regex in those expressions, and why it’s not finding the subs without parentheses.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/language/reference/user-interface-help/sub-statement makes it clear that the arglist is optional, including the parentheses.

• Hello, @robin-melin, @peterjones and All,

Okay, I understood the problem ! In two locations of, both, the @robin-melin’s vb.xml file and the @MAPJe71’s vb-3.0.FL.xml file, we have an ending regex part (?=[\t ]*\()

The correct regex should be (?=[\t ]*\(|$) !!

So, here is, first, the corrected contents of the @MAPJe71’s vb-3.0.FL.xml file, where I used a 4 spaces indentation :

<NotepadPlus>
        <functionList>
            <!-- =================================================== [vb_function] -->
            <parser 
                id="vb_function" 
                commentExpr="(?m:((?&lt;=&apos;).*?$)|((?i:REM)([\t ].*?)?$))">
                <classRange
                    displayMode="node" >
                    <className>
                    </className>
                    <function
                        mainExpr="(?m:^[\t ]*(?i:(?:(?:PRIVATE|PROTECTED|PUBLIC)[\t ]+)?(?:STATIC[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$))" >
                        <functionName>
                            <funcNameExpr expr="(?i:(?:(?:PRIVATE|PROTECTED|PUBLIC)[\t ]+)?(?:STATIC[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$)"/>
                            <funcNameExpr expr="[A-Za-z_][\w]*(?=[\t ]*\(|$)"/>
                        </functionName>
                    </function>
                </classRange>
                <function 
                    mainExpr="^[\t ]*(?i:(?:(?:PRIVATE|PROTECTED|PUBLIC)[\t ]+)?(?:STATIC[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY))[\t ].*?[A-Za-z_][\w]*(?:[\t ]*\(|$)" 
                    <functionName>
                        <nameExpr expr="(?i:(?:(?:PRIVATE|PROTECTED|PUBLIC)[\t ]+)?(?:STATIC[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY))[\t ].*?[A-Za-z_][\w]*(?:[\t ]*\(|$)"/>
                        <nameExpr expr="(?i:(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY))[\t ].*?[A-Za-z_][\w]*(?:[\t ]*\(|$)"/>
                        <nameExpr expr="[A-Za-z_][\w]*(?=[\t ]*\(|$)"/>
                    </functionName>
                </function>
            </parser>      
        </functionList>
    </NotepadPlus>

And secondly, here is the corrected contents of the @robin-melin’s vb.xml file, where I used a 1 tabulation indentation :

<NotepadPlus>
    	<functionList>
    		<!-- ========================================================= [ VB ] -->
    		<parser
    			id         ="vb_function"
    			commentExpr="(?m:((?&lt;=&apos;).*?$)|((?i:REM)([\t ].*?)?$))">
    			<classRange
    				displayMode="node" >
    				<className>
    				</className>
    				<function
    					mainExpr="(?m:^[\t ]*(?i:(?:(?:PUBLIC|PRIVATE|PROTECTED|FRIEND|PROTECTED FRIEND)[\t ]+)?(?:(?:STATIC|SHARED|SHADOWS|OVERRIDABLE|OVERRIDES|READONLY|WRITEONLY)[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$))" >
    					<functionName>
    						<funcNameExpr expr="(?i:(?:(?:PUBLIC|PRIVATE|PROTECTED|FRIEND|PROTECTED FRIEND)[\t ]+)?(?:STATIC[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$)"/>
    						<funcNameExpr expr="(?i:(?:GET|LET|SET)[\t ]+)?[A-Za-z_][\w]*(?=[\t ]*\(|$)"/>
    					</functionName>
    				</function>
    			</classRange>
    			<function
    				mainExpr="^[\t ]*(?i:(?:(?:PUBLIC|PRIVATE|PROTECTED|FRIEND|PROTECTED FRIEND)[\t ]+)?(?:(?:STATIC|(?:DECLARE(?:[\t ]+(?:ANSI|UNICODE|AUTO))?))[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$)"
    				<functionName>
    					<nameExpr expr="(?i:(?:(?:PUBLIC|PRIVATE|PROTECTED|FRIEND|PROTECTED FRIEND)[\t ]+)?(?:(?:STATIC|(?:DECLARE(?:[\t ]+(?:ANSI|UNICODE|AUTO))?))[\t ]+)?(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$)"/>
    					<nameExpr expr="(?i:(?:SUB|FUNCTION|PROPERTY)).*?(?:\(|$)"/>
    					<nameExpr expr="(?i:(?:GET|LET|SET)[\t ]+)?[A-Za-z_][\w]*(?i:[\t ]+(LIB|ALIAS)[\t ]+[\w&quot;\.]+)*(?=[\t ]*\(|$)"/>
    				</functionName>
    			</function>
    		</parser>
    	</functionList>
    </NotepadPlus>

Robin, I tested your two examples as well as the Peter’s one and everthing is OK, whatever the vb parsing rules file used !

Best Regards,

guy038