Notepad++ v8.1.6 is out there
Notepad++ v8.1.6 Release is available here:
Notepad++ v8.1.6 bug-fixes:
- Fix NUL file-corruption issue after system shutting down brutally. (Fix #6133)
- Fix session lost issue after MS update restarting Windows. (Fix #10402)
- Make Markdown UDL work in every dark theme. (Fix #10593)
- Fix file can be marked as saved even it’s been deleted outside. (Fix #10401)
- Fix status bar text display glitchy in dark mode. (Fix #10564)
- Fix white flash on Notepad++ startup in dark mode issue. (Fix #10601)
- Fix docked window sizing direction problem in RTL mode. (Fix #10536)
- Fix floating panel movement issue in RTL mode. (Fix #10579)
- Fix Print GUI bug in Preferences dialog. (Fix #10552)
The auto-updater will be triggered in 1 week if there’s no critical bug found.
pnedev last edited by pnedev
Just wanted to add that this bug is also fixed:
- File is erased on save when there is no free space left on disk (Fix https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/notepad-plus-plus/issues/5664)
There is some kind of regression with 8.1.6, it probably has to do with point 1.
I am now getting a log that I normally clear and turns into some weird 1KB NUL when it should be 0KB “blank” file after saving.
I’m dumb here, I cannot really explain…
After saving the file with version 8.1.5 and any version earlier I get this;
With 8.1.6 I get this;
Notice the blank mark in this one, it’s also 1KB in size vs the 0KB one. so something is getting corrupt.
PeterJones last edited by
When you said logfile, at first I was going to blame it on some other process writing new bytes to the file after you had saved from Notepad++.
But then I tried with a new file, no background process writing to it, and I can confirm: using v8.1.6 freshly downloaded, I created a new file, saved with some quick text. Then I select all, delete everything, and save. When I look on disk, the file still has the same size as the previous save, rather than the 0b expected when saving an empty file.
But when I do just a single character in the file and save, it properly shows a directory listing of 1 byte, so I know I’m looking at the directory listing for the right file. If I delete that single character and save, it still shows 1 byte in the file.
Notepad++ v8.1.6 (64-bit) Build time : Oct 10 2021 - 14:10:29 Path : C:\usr\local\apps\npp\npp.8.1.6.portable.x64\notepad++.exe Command Line : Admin mode : OFF Local Conf mode : ON Cloud Config : OFF OS Name : Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit) OS Version : 2009 OS Build : 19042.1237 Current ANSI codepage : 1252 Plugins : mimeTools.dll NppConverter.dll NppExport.dll
Yes after a little testing it seems that ANY file where you go CTRL+A (to select all), Del (to clear everything), Save (to save the results duh!), it doesn’t even save the file after a close, reopening it and all the text is still there, but with now a blank “invisiable” space at the end of the file.
It’s about a regression:
I’m doing another release for fixing it.
Could you check the above commit to make sure the change is safe please?
You can download the fixed version here:
pnedev last edited by
The fix looks fine, thank you.
Thank you for your confirmation.
Downloaded the portable to test, seems to have fixed this issue for me (not much testing though).