Community
    • Login

    LLM contribution policy for Notepad++?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved General Discussion
    2 Posts 2 Posters 33 Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • rdipardoR Offline
      rdipardo
      last edited by

      It seems to have passed without comment so far, but the trunk of the Notepad++ GitHub repository now contains work partly authored by a coding agent:

      $ git log --pretty="format:%h (%cs) %s %(trailers:key=co-authored-by) %d" | rg -i "(claude|codex|copilot)"
      
      37f76d419 (2026-09-27) Fix spurious NPPN_READONLYCHANGED notification on file deletion Co-Authored-By: Claude Sonnet 5 <noreply@anthropic.com>
      d8ceb40a8 (2026-09-27) Fix call-tip parameter highlighting confused by comma in string literal Co-Authored-By: Claude Sonnet 5 <noreply@anthropic.com>
      

      I’m surprised only because I haven’t seen any update to the contribution guidelines regarding AI-generated submissions.

      It’s increasingly common for projects to address the issue in public (the way Scintilla recently has, for example).

      I guess my question is whether or not @donho has an AI policy, and, if so, where can we read it?

      PeterJonesP 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
      • PeterJonesP Online
        PeterJones @rdipardo
        last edited by

        @rdipardo ,

        I got a statement of sorts in regard to this request, specifically, this comment:

        Using AI to create a PR for an open source project - is it a good thing or a bad thing? I have no judgement on that.

        For me, the only criterion that matters is whether the merged code will be maintainable in the future. On this point, I have to say that AI-generated PRs (I can usually tell during code review), often do not meet the critera in their current state - but many human devs don’t either.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2

        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

        Register Login
        • First post
          Last post
        The Community of users of the Notepad++ text editor.
        Powered by NodeBB | Contributors