Notepad++ display problem with line guide.
Ratha Wynter last edited by Ratha Wynter
I’ve encountered an odd graphic display problem (or perhaps something more) related to the indent guide.
This bug occurs in 6.7.7 and a completely clean 6.8.6 zip version as downloaded from https://notepad-plus-plus.org
Steps to duplicate using completely fresh install:
- Open a new text document.
- Turn on View > Show Characters > Indent Guide + Show All Characters
- Press the enter key until you’re on about line 30
- Put your cursor on line # 25.
- Press tab about 10 times. - Notice how on line 5 you are now showing a bunch of tab guides?
- Press enter 4 times. - Notice how you now have a block of 5 tab guides on lines 5-9 and on 25-29? (If automatic tab ident is on.)
- Now move to line 35 and press Space once, then Enter 20 times. - Notice how there is now a new tab guide on line 45-49 at the same position at line 25-29? Editing the tabs at 25-29 will cause these phantom tabs to update on 45-49.
For some odd reason, these tab guides seem to mimic whatever happened 20 lines above them. Not sure if this is a bug or a setting somewhere, but its certainly caused a fair bit of confusion.
For most of the morning I believed that this problem was what was causing my block edit + tab presses to create all sorts of really weird and unexpected results, but i finally figured out what the cause of that was: In NP++ 6.7.7 having “p://w” (as in http://www) anywhere in your document would cause block inserts of tabs to completely malfunction and highlight/erase random blocks of text with continued keypresses.
Anyway, with my more significant problem solved, can anyone tell me if this is a bug with the guide, or an intended behavior / where the setting to stop these phantom guide lines from showing up is? (I do want the guide lines on, i just dont want them to show up mirrored multiple spaces away on lines that dont have any tabs!)