Regex: how to remove spaces that are not followed by letters or numbers

• hello. I looking for a regex that remove spaces that are not followed by letters or numbers. For example:

s earch
    will become
    search

So, basically, I have more files with many spaces (usually one space) in words. I want to join these spaces, but only those space that are not followed by letters or numbers, so not to join all the other words between them.

• @Vasile-Caraus

I’m confused, your example shows what should be done but is exactly what you don’t want to do as described.
    e follows the space, e is a letter. What do I miss?
    ???

Cheers
    Claudia

• hello Claudia, yes, I am sorry, I tried to delete or modify the title, but was too late.

Anyway, the example was good.

s earch
    will become
    search

See this little sentence to see my problem. I want to eliminate the space from the interior of words, without joining the other words.

focu s on the opposition be tween the apparent simplicity of prod ucing a distinct creation and its ulterior comple xity

• …and j ust ho w in the heck is the reg ex eng ine suppose d to know w hich space is a space betw een words and which spac e is a space ins ide a wor d?

:-D

• @Scott-Sumner

hello Scott. I really don’t know…

• Hello Vasile,

Scott is perfectly right about it !! How the regex engine could guees, for instance, than the two words be and tween are finally the single word between ? And anyway, the first word be is quite a valid English word, isn’t it ?

So I would advice you to use, rather, a Spell-checker plugin, which will, automatically, highlight all the non-correct words of your text

Best Regards,

guy038

• where did the original text come from?

how were the spaces introduced into the text?

maybe there is a pattern that can be used to identify the “bad” spaces

• hello, Js. This is what I am trying to figure out.

Right now I am trying some combination like this one:

Search: \x20?\x20
    Replace by: $1

Is not quite very good, but I have time to check more things. I got to have luck :D

But I need to make some kind of a connection with a dictionary, with a spell check.

• you have not answered the question.

where did the text come from? … was it downloaded from website?

how were the spaces introduced?

were there other characters in the text, like html tags that someone incorrectly deleted by replacing tags with spaces?

• oh, sure. The text was made after using a pdf to txt converter.

• ouch!!

try opening the original pdf file using Notepad++
    you may get lucky, and the contents may be cleartext (not compressed)

otherwise, try a different pdf to txt converter or try ocr software

good luck