Encoding issue V 6.7.3



  • Hi, sometimes a page of code I have recorded in OEM 850 is encoded in EUC-KR when I open it again, do you know why and how to prevent this ?

    Thank you for your help,

    Emmanuel



  • Detecting Character Set is guess work. There is no "Character Set identification" embedded into the file. Notepad++ observes the bytes of the document and try to guess which set is most likely to cover values 128-255 based on the frequency of appearance of specific values. If there are no values in that range it selects ANSI.

    You can set Character Set in Preferences -> New Document -> Encoding. Maybe it is applied to opened documents. I don’t know. In any case you can select the “correct” character set after opening the file.

    If possible consider using UTF-8 with BOM. The BOM is used to identify the UTF-8 encoding.



  • Hi, I have a similar problem. I need to handle several files with a specific encoding, and every time I open one of them, I have to select the right encoding over and over again. Since there are three-four sub-menus to navigate before I get to the correct choice, I assigned a hot key to it. Now I open the file, hit the hot key, and that’s it.

    Since all these files have the same extension, e.g. .xyz, I was looking for some sort of Notepad++ setting or macro that triggers an action based on the extension of the file, so each time I open one of these .xyz files, the editor automatically sets the proper encoding. Is something like this available?



  • This is a long term issue, I posted it years ago.

    @gstavi said:

    You can set Character Set in Preferences -> New Document -> Encoding. Maybe it is applied to opened documents. I don’t know.

    This only applies to new documents.

    @gstavi said:

    In any case you can select the “correct” character set after opening the file.

    And never forget it! It is very annoying if you do.

    I need OEM encoding for Windows batch files containing German Umlauts. If an option for standard encoding would be added to the stylers settings that might solve the problem. These settings contain the respective file extensions. So one could connect OEM encoding to bat and cmd file extensions.



  • A possible solution using python script plugin has been shown here.

    Cheers
    Claudia



  • @Claudia-Frank said:

    A possible solution using python script plugin has been shown here.

    Cheers
    Claudia

    It does exactly what I need, and it works fine. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.


Log in to reply