'Replace All in All Open Documents' problem in 7.4.1



  • @guy038

    I can confirm that this happens at my installation as well.
    And it affects replace all in all opened documents as well as find in files.

    Cheers
    Claudia



  • This post is deleted!


  • @guy038 @Steven-Speirs @Claudia-Frank

    I think I’ve found the culprit : Document Peeker.
    Could you disable Document Peeker (uncheck it in MISC section of Preference Dialog) to make sure replace all in
    files works again?

    Thank you.



  • Hi.

    Do you mean ‘Document Peeker’? I had already tried disabling ‘Document Peeker’ to no avail. (I noted this in my first post above.) I’ve just tried again with the same results.

    • Installed v7.4.1.
    • Deselected both ‘Peek on tab’ and ‘Peek on document map’ - can still reproduce problem.
    • Restarted Notepad++ with Document Peeker disabled - can still reproduce problem.

    Not sure if this info will help but these are my findings.
    Thanks for looking into the problem.

    Regards,
    Steve



  • Don, Steven

    when document peeker settings are unchecked it seems to work fine for me.
    I tried ~50 times to replace content in 15 open files and it always was replaced in all files
    but as soon as I check the settings I do see the issue.
    I guess I even found when it happens - as soon as a peek (?) has been displayed, the content of this
    document doesn’t get replaced - looks like.

    Cheers
    Claudia



  • Thank you @Claudia-Frank , I have the same result.

    @Steven-Speirs Could you give me a screenshot to show me how you disable Document Peeker ?





  • @Steven-Speirs Yes, I have experienced the same problem.
    You have to restart Notepad++ after disable Document Peeker.
    Please restart Notepad++ and check this settings to ensure it’s not active then test.
    Pleas let me know the result of your test.



  • Hi.

    I’ve tried again this morning and disabling Document Peeker does seem to fix the problem.
    I have no idea what I was doing last night when I thought the problem still existed (maybe searching for text that was not in all files). Sorry for the false alarm.

    To reiterate: the problem does not exist when Document Peeker has been disabled.

    Cheers,
    Steve



  • @Steven-Speirs Thank you for your confirmation !



  • Hi, @donho, @steven-Speirs and All,

    Quite strange, indeed ! Finally, I’m, exactly, in the same situation than Steven and I could have writen a similar post to the Steven’s one :-)) But, certainly, in less fluent American-English !

    So, presently, the features Replace All in All documents and Replace in Files properly work, when Document Peeker new feature is disabled, in N++ v7.4.1 :-))

    Many thanks, @donho, for your feedback, about that matter !

    Cheers,

    guy038



  • issue continues in v7.7.1 both 64 and 32 bit versions
    I notice when my file contains hex code 85 the all document replace function works on focus document only. When I try with another group of files that do not contain hex code 85 the replace all documents is successful for all. Perhaps this observation might help to reduce the randomness of the underlying issue.



  • @Gary-Collier

    That’s really too vague for anyone to care about pursuing. Why don’t you do something like this:

    fileset, all in one folder:
    file1.txt - active document when replacement is started - contains hex 85 - what happens to it after replacement operation
    file2.txt - doesn’t contain hex 85 - what happens to it after replacement operation
    file3.txt - etc
    etc.

    Nobody really likes typing to describe a problem. BUT…You’ve got to give something to get something.

    Prediction: No reply.



  • Hello, @gary-collier,

    First of all, Gary, when you speak of the "hex 85" character, do you mean :

    • The Unicode character …, of code-point U+0085, which belongs to the Control-C1 range, of short name NEL ( NExt Line ), and which can be found with any of the regexes, below :

      • \x85

      • \x{85}

      • \x{0085}

    when the current encoding of your file is, either, UTF-8, UTF-8-BOM, UCS-2 BE BOM or UCS-2 LE BOM, exclusively

    ( Refer to http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf )

    OR

    • The Unicode character , of code-point U+2026, which belongs to the General Punctuation script, of name Horisontal Ellipsis, and which can be found with :

    • the regex \x{2026}

    when the current encoding of your file is, either, UTF-8, UTF-8-BOM, UCS-2 BE BOM or UCS-2 LE BOM

    • the regex \x85

    when the current encoding of your file is ANSI

    ( Refer to http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf )


    Personally, I tried with a local N++ v7.7.1 installation, in folder D:@@\771, containing 3 UTF-8 text files Guy_1.txt, Guy_2.txt and Guy_3.txt

    Then, I considered 4 cases, in the Guy_2 file :

    • Only letters

    • Letters + the U+0085 character

    • Letters + the U+2026 character

    • Letters + the U+0085 and U+2026 characters

    And I replaced just one occurence of a word, per file, with an other one. But luckily, in all cases, I did obtain 3 replacements ;-)), with Filters field = Guy*.txt and Directory field = D:\@@\771

    Best Regards,

    guy038


Log in to reply