Adding } to the end of a text line

• Hello,
    I do Need a Little help with regular expressions.
    I have a utf-8 textr file with thousands of entries

synonyms are looking like this: {Basel-City}.

Due to a error the look kike this: {Basel-Country or {Northwestern Switzerland

Is there a way to find this two Kind of occurrences and replace it with the first part + }

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Uwe

• Hello @uwe-helmer,

Seemingly, the part, inside your {....} entries, is a range of characters, made up of :

• Normal word character, ( upper or lower-case letter or accentuated one, digit or the low-line character _) => \w

• The dash-minus character -, as, for instance, in the string Basel-Country

• The space character, as, for instance, in the string Northwestern Switzerland

So, the question is : in your present file, which character(s) is/are assumed to be after an unbalanced entry {.... ?

Once, this/these character(s) known ( it may be usual End of Line characters, BTW ), it should be easy to find out the right regex, to get well-balanced entries {....}, again !

You may also insert a small part of your text, in your next post !

Cheers,

guy038

• Hi guy038,
    it is always CR and LF. Sometimes the closing } is missing. Whereever I have a { I do Need a closing } before the CR and LF.

{Ausgang
    {door
    {Eingang}
    {Eintritt}
    {entry
    {exit}
    {gate}
    {gateway}
    {ingress
    {Pforte}
    {Portal}
    {slammer}
    {Tor
    {Türe}
    {Zugang}
    Gatter
    Tor
    Torbogen
    Treppen
    Stufen
    Wände
    Gelaender
    {banister
    {handrail}
    {railing}
    Innenraum
    {interior}

Thanks a lot.
    Uwe

• Hi, @uwe-helmer,

Ah, OK ! Sorry for my late reply, but I was studying the haunting problem of the suppression of duplicate lines, without corrupting the order of the file contents :-)) See, below :

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/community/topic/14729/deleting-lines-that-repeat-the-first-15-characters/13

So, let’s consider your example text, below, in a new tab :

{Ausgang
    {door
    {Eingang}
    {Eintritt}
    {entry
    {exit}
    {gate}
    {gateway}
    {ingress
    {Pforte}
    {Portal}
    {slammer}
    {Tor
    {Türe}
    {Zugang}
    Gatter
    Tor
    Torbogen
    Treppen
    Stufen
    Wände
    Gelaender
    {banister
    {handrail}
    {railing}
    Innenraum
    {interior}

Open the Replace dialog ( Ctrl + H )

Check the Regular expression search mode

SEARCH (?-s)^\{.*[^}\r\n](?=\R)

REPLACE $0}

Click, once, on the Replace All button ( or, successively, on the Replace button )

=> You should get the text :

{Ausgang}
    {door}
    {Eingang}
    {Eintritt}
    {entry}
    {exit}
    {gate}
    {gateway}
    {ingress}
    {Pforte}
    {Portal}
    {slammer}
    {Tor}
    {Türe}
    {Zugang}
    Gatter
    Tor
    Torbogen
    Treppen
    Stufen
    Wände
    Gelaender
    {banister}
    {handrail}
    {railing}
    Innenraum
    {interior}

Et voilà !

Notes :

• First, the (?-s) modifier forces the regex engine to interpret the special . character as matching a single standard character, only

• Then, the part ^\{ looks the \{ character, at beginning of line ^. Note that the special { regex character have to be escaped !

• Now, the part .* searches any amount, even empty, of standard characters, till …

• A character different from the } character ( part [^}\r\n] ) which is followed by EOL characters ( look-ahead feature (?=\R) )

• The part [^}\r\n] is a negative character class, looking for any character, different from, either, the } character, the EOL character \r and the EOL character \n

• The \R stands for any kind of line break ( \r\n, \n or \r )

• In replacement, it rewrites the overall matched string $0, simply followed by the } character

Best Regards,

guy038