Notepad++ keeps updating to 7.5.4 but updates are off



  • Hey all,
    Run into a bit of an odd situation lately. Earlier this week (and for quite some time before that) I had been running NP 7.4.2 (32bit) on my Win8 64-bit machine without any issues. However, earlier this week, I’d noticed my shortcut wasn’t working, and my plugins were gone. Turns out NP had upgraded me to 7.5.4, despite auto-updates being off.

    So I removed NP, downloaded the 7.4.2 32bit installer, and reinstalled all my plugins. I then checked to make sure auto-updates were off, and I took the extra step of blocking the Notepad++ executables access to the internet via firewall.

    However, it did the same thing again today. It appears to be running an install script using command prompt, and frankly, I don’t know how to stop it. Any ideas how I can stop this? I don’t understand why I would be forced into an updated version when I don’t want to.

    The current version doesn’t support the features I need, so keeping it is not an option. Thanks!



  • I tried to delete this but the post is already too old. I managed to figure a way around this particular “feature”, so I think I’m good at this point.



  • Strange.

    When you disable Settings > Preferences > MISC > ☐ Enable Notepad++ Auto-updater, then exit and reload Notepad++, is it still disabled? If you open %AppData%\Notepad++\config.xml (or, if you are using local config, then your c:\program files (x86)\notepad++\ directory, or wherever you installed notepad++), there should be a line that says something like:

        <GUIConfig name="noUpdate" intervalDays="15" nextUpdateDate="20180227">yes</GUIConfig>
    

    If it says “yes”, then it should be doing “noUpdate”, so it shouldn’t be auto-updating. If it says “no”, then it should be doing the update. (reverse logic in the config.xml compared to the state of the toggle switch in the preferences)

    If all the copies of config.xml say “yes” to noUpdate, and if the GUI’s preferences shows the auto-updater is disabled, and it’s still trying to update, you could try to rename the gup.exe and possibly gup.xml in your c:\program files (x86)\notepad++\updater\ (or equivalent) directory


Log in to reply