Reg expression to change characters within brackets '[ ]' to uppercase?

• Hi,
    I’m having trouble coming up with a reg expression for the replace option for the following scenario:

Would like to replace all lowercase characters with brackets to uppercase.

i.e. array[enum1_name] becomes array[ENUM1_NAME].

I’ll defer to the reg expression experts out there.

Thanks!

• Find what: [([^]]*)]
    Replace With: [\U$1\E]

Finds everything between [ and ], inclusive, saving the stuff between the brackets as $1
    The \U and \E say to make everything between those two escapes uppercase. Thus \U$1\E uppercases everything in $1.

EDIT: that assumes you don’t have nested brackets, like outer[ inner[ ENUM_HERE ] ]. If you do, you’ll have to define some rules for what’s allowed and what isn’t, and what needs capitalizing and what doesn’t.

• Thanks so much! Worked like a champ! Over 750 replacements in one file alone. What a time saver.

• Hi, @kurt-ehrhardt, @Peterjones and All

Ah, already solved, nice :-)) So, just for fun, an other formulation could be :

SEARCH [.*?]

REPLACE \U$0

Note, Kurt, that the two search regexes, from Peter and me, would match a “multi-lines” square-bracket block, too, as, for instance :

array[ENUM1
    _NAME]

Thus, to restrict to a single-line square-bracket block, the Peter’s search regex should be changed into :

SEARCH [([^]\r\n]*)]

And mine should be written :

SEARCH (?-s)[.*?]

Cheers,

guy038

P.S. :

Note that replacement case operations occur, only, with classical letters in range [A-Za-z] Unfortunately, for Non English-American people, this does not work, at all, for accentuated letters :-((