RegEx Expression to count a WORD in LINES

• If I have 1000 lines of text, and a word MILKis found 1100 times in total, but the word MILK is not in all lines, because it is found several times in other lines.

Is there a RegEx Expression to count the amount of lines in which the word MILK appears?

• @Elijah-5801

Sure, try: (?-s)^.*?MILK.*?\R

Press the Count button.

Make sure the last line has a line-ending on it if your word appears on that line and you want it counted. Sure would be nice to have a native option to ALWAYS put a line-ending on that last line!

• Hi, @elija-5801 and All,

Very easy to achieve, indeed ! Let’s suppose we have the following text and you would like to search for the word test :

This is a test, a good test but a simple test

test

A simple line
    The test to test
    A test to do
    test
    Simple test which have not
    been tested, yet

test test test
    To determine
    The number of lines
    test

• First, open a new tab ( Ctrl + N ) ( Leave the last line test without any line break )

• Copy / paste, the text. Then,

• Open the Find dialog ( Ctrl + F )

• Select the Regular expression search mode

• Type in the regex (?-s).*\btest\b, in order to know how many lines contain the word test, in the current file

OR

• Type in the regex \btest\b, in order to know the number of occurrences of the word test, in the current file

• Click on the Count button

=> The result appears, at the bottom of the Find dialog

Et voilà !

guy038

P.S. :

• Note that if we have searched for the string test, even glued in words, with the regexes :

SEARCH (?-s).*test

SEARCH test

We would have obtained one more line and one more occurrence, because of the line “been tested, yet” !

• See also my reply to your recent post :

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/community/topic/15390/regex-expression-help-with-keeping-text-and-replacing-formating-codes-only/4

• I’m so appreciate this forum, the pros have solved two RegEx problems for me this weekend.

Thanks to Scott and Guy038.

Interestingly both your methods works perfectly.