"Installation of <everything> failed."



  • (I realize this is probably the wrong place to ask this, especially considering that the Plugins Manager is no longer bundled with npp, but since bruderstein’s Issues tracker on GitHub seems to be more for feature requests than end user assistance, posting there looked even less appropriate.)

    I recently tried to update npp from 7.5.1 to 7.5.6 (I don’t allow automatic updates, and hadn’t checked manually for a while), and after the update, I found that Plugin Manager wants to update several plugins, including PM itself, but gives a failure message almost every time I use it. The only time I’ve used PM successfully since updating was when I selected a random plugin from the “Available” tab as a test.

    I tried installing 64bit npp alongside the 32bit version (despite knowing that several plugins still aren’t available for that version), and I also manually installed the latest PMs for both versions, but still neither one is very successful at installing or updating plugins on my machine. I tried running both versions with admin privileges, but that didn’t help, either.

    Also, for a while, I was getting warnings about plugins in %APPDATA%, but I resolved that by manually moving those plugins.

    What can I do to diagnose this? Is there some sort of debug mode I can turn on to get more info than “Installation failed” - like some indication of WHY it failed?



  • I also meeted this problem recentley.

    It seemed that PM cannot install plugins form github, but can install plugins from sourceforge or bitbucket.

    I tried NPP win32 and win64, same problem.

    Win10 Home
    Notepad++ v7.5.6 32/64-bit
    PluginManager.1.4.11



  • @TBugReporter said:

    Also, for a while, I was getting warnings about plugins in %APPDATA%, but I resolved that by manually moving those plugins.

    Maybe you’ve mixed up local and portable installation mode of Notepad++. Have a look at these links:

    Portable installation
    Notepad++ configuration files

    Especially pay attention to the two files allowAppDataPlugins.xml and doLocalConf.xml.



  • This post is deleted!


  • @imbear said:

    It seemed that PM cannot install plugins form github, but can install plugins from sourceforge or bitbucket.

    I didn’t pay attention to where the updates were coming from (mainly because part of the point of PM is to relieve end users from having to think about such things), but I managed to dissect PM’s XML files and do the updates I needed manually.

    I tried NPP win32 and win64, same problem.

    I noticed that, too, along with another - well, let’s call it a disappointment about how PM works: apparently the two different versions download two different lists of plugins, but use the same local filename and location for both of them, so people with NPP32 and NPP64 both installed on the same machine (like me, currently) have to re-download a different list after every switch. Perhaps bruderstein’s current concerns about bandwidth caused him to split up the list (figuring few people would need both lists on the same machine), but then the files should have two separate names.

    @dinkumoil said:

    Maybe you’ve mixed up local and portable installation mode of Notepad++

    I don’t think so. To update, I just download the latest installer .exe and run it; the only option I ever changed was the location for the program itself - and when upgrading my existing installation, I don’t even have to do that much. I didn’t even realize there were multiple possible locations for the configuration until I got this message.



  • FYI: I finally found the solution for this on bruderstein’s issues tracker: Apparently the job of downloading plugins gets passed off to IE, and the problem is the result of a misconfiguration within IE. To fix it, go to the “Internet Options” screen (either from Control Panel or IE itself), click the “Advanced” tab, scroll to the bottom, and check “Use TLS 1.2”.

    (Another good idea before you exit would be to uncheck the other SSL and TLS options, because they’re no longer considered secure.)



  • @TBugReporter said:

    FYI: I finally found the solution for this on bruderstein’s issues tracker: Apparently the job of downloading plugins gets passed off to IE, and the problem is the result of a misconfiguration within IE. To fix it, go to the “Internet Options” screen (either from Control Panel or IE itself), click the “Advanced” tab, scroll to the bottom, and check “Use TLS 1.2”.

    (Another good idea before you exit would be to uncheck the other SSL and TLS options, because they’re no longer considered secure.)

    I’ve searched a lot but this is the only right solution.
    Thank you very much!


Log in to reply