Installation of XML tools failed on a non-admin

• Since Notepad++ 7.6 I can’t get XML Tools to work, I’m on a non-admin computer and can’t use the installer. XML Tools shows under Plugins menu, but only with the “How to install” sub menu.

I put the XMLTools.dll here… (XMLTools 2.4.11.0)
    c:\Local Files\Notepad++\plugins\xmltools\XMLTools.dll
    External libs here (i.e libiconv-2.dll)
    c:\Local Files\Notepad++
    I also tried by put the files in the %APPDATA% (c:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\libiconv-2.dll) and c:\Users\x\AppData\Local\Notepad++\libiconv-2.dll, but with no luck.

Debug info
    Notepad++ v7.6.2 (64-bit)
    Build time : Jan 1 2019 - 00:02:38
    Path : C:\Local Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
    Admin mode : OFF
    Local Conf mode : ON
    Plugins : DSpellCheck.dll mimeTools.dll NppConverter.dll xmltools.dll

• welcome to the notepad++ community, @Marcus-Östman

here is an easy guide how to install xml tools on your specific configuration:

(side note: as i can see in your report, you have a portable notepad++ 7.6.2, x64 in C:\Local Files\Notepad++\ and not in C:\Program Files\Notepad++.
    this is good and makes it easier for you because all files will automatically go inside a sub folder of this same folder)

guide:

please get a new portable npp.7.6.2.bin.x64.zip from here,
    extract npp.7.6.2.bin to your desktop,
    copy the contents of npp.7.6.2.bin to C:\Local Files\Notepad++\ replacing your existing files.

then start notepad++.exe and open plugins admin as shown in this screenshot:

Imgur

now enter xml in the search field and hit next until you see xml tools, select it as seen in this screenshot and hit install:

Imgur

after the install you will have the full xml tools menu:

Imgur

i hope this helps you.

additional note, if it is of interest: the correct plugin location for xml tools on your setup is: C:\Local Files\Notepad++\plugins\XMLTools\XMLTools.dll and C:\Local Files\Notepad++\plugins\XMLTools\libs\, so you can put them there manually, if you aren’t able to use plugins admin due to the same restrictions that prevent you from using the xml tools installer