Possible to click on a MACRO and jump to its definition?



  • I’d like to know if NotePad++ is able to be set as other programming editor, i.e. can I click (or other keyboard or mouse combination) over a macro or a variable and jump directly to its definition?



  • @Paolo-Santini104

    You mean like from the Macro menu, maybe ctrl+click an entry and it will open/switchto shortcuts.xml and go right to the start of the macro definition in that file? Currently not possible, but I applaud your creative thinking. :)

    Or did you mean something totally different? In which case the applause is somewhat muted…



  • @Paolo-Santini104 said:

    click over a macro or a variable and jump directly to its definition?

    If you’re talking about clicking on an instance of a function (say, in a C source file) and going to that function’s definition in the same file … not directly. However, if you put your cursor on the function name and do Ctrl+F, it will populate the search box with that function name. Or if you use the View > Function List feature, you can use the Function List sub-window as a “Table of Contents”, to allow you to quickly get to the right function definition.

    If you want to be in source_file.1 and find the definition in any of source_file.2 … source_file.###: unfortunately the Function List (to my knowledge) doesn’t allow you to cross file boundaries.



  • @PeterJones

    I think I was off-base in my interpretation…but I like the idea it generated! :)



  • @PeterJones said:

    @Paolo-Santini104 said:

    If you want to be in source_file.1 and find the definition in any of source_file.2 … source_file.###: unfortunately the Function List (to my knowledge) doesn’t allow you to cross file boundaries.

    Exactly this !!! Very useful where set. I use it in QtCreator and it makes easy my work.



  • @PeterJones said:

    If you want to be in source_file.1 and find the definition in any of source_file.2

    One could do Find in Files or Find All in All Opened Documents for this…but isn’t this handled better by one of the “tagging” plugins (which I don’t use)?



  • @Alan-Kilborn said:

    @PeterJones said:

    If you want to be in source_file.1 and find the definition in any of source_file.2

    One could do Find in Files or Find All in All Opened Documents for this…but isn’t this handled better by one of the “tagging” plugins (which I don’t use)?

    It’s the only solution (at the moment…)


Log in to reply