Trying to find where are saved the Disabled Languages from Preferences (File)



  • Hi everyone, I are trying to disable Languages like disabling them from the Context Menu in -> Configuration -> Preferences -> Language, but instead, from a File, replacing the file in some folder of Notepad++, but I have some questions:

    1. Where is the File where the changes are reflected when I disable a a Language via the Context Menu ?
    2. What is the File Name of the changed File I previously mentioned ?
    3. Can I replace that File (If exists) with a custom one with the specific languages I want to use?

    Thanks in advance !



  • @Sebastián-Dianessi, Welcome to the Notepad++ Community. You asked some interesting questions

    I had never played around with disabling languages before, so I didn’t know the answer. But I saved a copy of the various XML settings files for Notepad++ (found in %AppData%\Notepad++\*.xml for normal installations), and did a diff after disabling a few of the languages.

    I found that one of the lines in config.xml changes, in the <GuiConfigs> section:

    • normal condition:
      <GUIConfig name="langsExcluded" gr0="0" gr1="0" gr2="0" gr3="0" gr4="0" gr5="0" gr6="0" gr7="0" gr8="0" gr9="0" gr10="0" gr11="0" gr12="0" langMenuCompact="yes" />
    • other condition
      <GUIConfig name="langsExcluded" gr0="0" gr1="0" gr2="0" gr3="0" gr4="0" gr5="0" gr6="0" gr7="0" gr8="0" gr9="0" gr10="28" gr11="0" gr12="0" langMenuCompact="yes" />

    So, for me, the gr10 attribute changed. I had disabled the last three languages in the Available Items list in the Preferences > Languages dialog. The number 28 in binary is 00111000b. I am guessing that those three 1’s are the three disabled languages… but it’s hard to tell from that first experiment how things map. (But it makes sense: I had 83 entries in the Available Items, so assuming 8 bits per gr##, it would be bits 80,81,82… which would fall into the 10th 8-bit value.) To identify which language goes into which bit of the 13 gr## attributes, someone (ie, you) would have to do some experimentation, or dig into the source code at https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/notepad-plus-plus, and see if you can determine how it maps language to gr## and the value.



  • Hello, @sebastián-dianessi, @PeterJones and All,

    As I recently built up some files, related to source files of N++ v7.7.0 for @IvyNo ( see below ) :

    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/community/topic/12576/list-of-all-assigned-keyboard-shortcuts/16

    I attempted to verify that N++ manage 83 languages, including Normal Text because I’ve personally counted 82 from my files ! And it happens that the JavaScript language seems to be present twice, in two different locations, inside the Available Items area when choosing Settings > Preferences... > Language > Language Menu !?

    Then, having a look, on the right, to the Tab Settings list, sorted alphabetically, I noticed the two consecutive items javascript and javascript.js ! At first sight, as I’m not a specialist of Java, I can’t tell you what’s the difference between them ! But this certainly explained the duplicate JavaScript items in the Languages list !

    Best regards,

    guy038



  • @guy038 said:

    I noticed the two consecutive items javascript and javascript.js

    I think this also harkens back to the functionList.xml having two entries (L_JS=19 and L_JAVASCRIPT=58)

    I’m not a specialist of Java,

    Obviously not ☺, since you made the common mistake of confusing Java and JavaScript (or you made a typo).


Log in to reply