Find in Files does not find nor display Umlauts



  • Hi everybody,

    find in files stopped finding Umlauts in existing (aka unaltered) files since upgrading to 7.7.1.

    I have opened a bug report on github back in June (#5825) which seems to have gone unnoticed. You can read a lenghty description of the problem and see screenshots in the github issue -> https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/notepad-plus-plus/issues/5825

    I’m a bit desperate atm since this is a MASSIVE problem for my project work and for a start I’d be glad, if anyone could confirm this issue (so I can be sure, it isn’t only me)

    Thanks for your time!

    John



  • @ungesundes-halbwissen said:

    I’m a bit desperate atm since this is a MASSIVE problem for my project work

    I fail to see why you are desperate. You’ve done a nice job logging the issue. Simply downgrade for the moment…



  • @ungesundes-halbwissen

    I can confirm that reported behavior.
    The reason why you find after modifying one of the files, which by the way isn’t necessary, is that
    npp seems to search in the opened files instead of the file on the disk. As soon as you close the file you will see that it is not found again. I’m suspecting some initialization, which is done when loading the file isn’t done when using find in files.



  • Thanks for taking the time to response Alan & Ekopalype

    @Alan-Kilborn “desperate” might have been a word too dramatic ;-) I was (and still am) afraid, that the new version of notepad++ screws up the encoding of my files in a way I don’t understand. And as I noticed it only after working on a LOT of different files, before noticing the bug, it would be quite a task to refind all the files I have opened using 7.7.1 BUT…

    if @Ekopalypse is right and n++ find in files functionality simply does not work at all on not-opened files, things might be not as badas I thought initally. I’ll test that and will report back. Thanks for the hints!!

    I downgraded right away and am sticking to 7.6.6. ever since ofc ;-)



  • @ungesundes-halbwissen said:

    n++ find in files functionality simply does not work at all on not-opened files

    Here’s how (I’m pretty sure) it works:

    It plows through all of the matching files on disk, one at a time. One of the first things it does is see if the file on disk it is about to process is already open in Notepad++. If it is, it works with the (modified) data in the editor tab rather than the file on disk.



  • Ok, I double-checked. It seems Ekopalypse has a point here and find in files does not work at all for Umlauts …which is a relief as it means that I have no unknown number of wrongly encoded files in my project ;-) Thanks for all your hints and assistance @Alan-Kilborn & @Ekopalypse !!



  • @ungesundes-halbwissen

    from my short test it looks like it is working for utf8 encoded but not for "ansi"
    encoded files if those files haven’t been loaded into the current session.


Log in to reply