Automatic Data logging

• Hi guy’s (& girls),
    I’m relatively new at Notepad++ but found it very useful for logging my home automation system. It’s just ascii text but the files tend to grow over several days if I don’t go in each day and create a new log file.

Is there anyway to automatically create a new log file each day or based on size?

Thanks

Brent

• @Brent-Simpson said:

Hi guy’s (& girls),
    I’m relatively new at Notepad++ but found it very useful for logging my home automation system. It’s just ascii text but the files tend to grow over several days if I don’t go in each day and create a new log file.

Is there anyway to automatically create a new log file each day or based on size?

Thanks

Brent

what info you want into .log file

• @Brent-Simpson said:

new at Notepad++

Welcome to the Notepad++ Community.

but found it very useful for logging my home automation system.

I can see how it would be useful for reading the log from your home automation system. But I doubt Notepad++ is creating the log for you.

It’s just ascii text but the files tend to grow over several days if I don’t go in each day and create a new log file.

That would seem to be a task for whatever program is being used to create the log. Or for a separate program that monitors the log’s size and spawns off a copy whenever it gets big enough. You could write such a program using Notepad++, and could even use a PythonScript or similar plugin in Notepad++ to run the program, but this sounds like a pretty generic programming exercise that’s not specific to Notepad++.

• Duh! Apologies! Putty is doing the logging…

It’s an age thing…