clicking on hits in search results not opening a file



  • Only a while ago everything was working. I could do a search across multiple files, see the terms found and then click on them and immediately edit the corresponding file. This just stopped.

    Now I can do the search, see the results but when I click on the highlighted match, it just shows a highlight of on top of whatever is open, not corresponding.

    I have tried reinstalling a new notepad++ but that didn’t work.

    I can only suspect that the macros I have been doing large searches for are to blame, or the last search I did for a very very big return result \w+_V = all verbs in the folder. After that it stopped working.

    please help thanks.

    John



  • @Joe-Bonner

    would you mind posing your debug info? Available under the last menu item, the ? menu.



  • Notepad++ v7.7.1 (64-bit)
    Build time : Jun 16 2019 - 21:24:47
    Path : C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
    Admin mode : OFF
    Local Conf mode : OFF
    OS : Windows 10 (64-bit)
    Plugins : mimeTools.dll NppConverter.dll

    I was running 32 bit but am using the 64 bit now - there was no change in behavior.

    Importantly, I have continued to fine tune long macros and for whatever reason, the problem went away, came back, and went away again. I am surely playing with the limits with these long find searches so that might be it. Is there a some info about that somewhere and what to avoid?

    I have extremely long vocabulary for example ( easy|hard x “20 more words”)i?e?s?_Verb

    cheers



  • @Joe-Bonner

    as it seems that your macros do find/replace actions, then yes, the input
    for find and replace textboxes are limited ~2046 chars.
    Not sure if there is a difference in 8bit and unicode encoding.
    Is there something you can provide in order for us to test and see
    if it behaves the same on other machines?



  • Actually, I am doing an online character count now, and even when I keep it below 2000 chars it is cutting short. I think this is what the problem is. Correct me if I am wrong, the search window show two colours for what it covered within the search so that you can see if it reached the end of the string. From trial and error I am slowly having to redo all my macro lists into shorter ones.

    everything seems to work for now once they are cut down to about 1000 chars. This one is near the 1000 limit:
    (maintenanc|majorit|maker|management|mankind|manner|manual|manufacturer|manufacturing|marathon|marketing|mask|master|mayor|measur|measurement|medal|microphon|minister|minorit|mint|miracl|miser|mission|mist|mixtur|monitor|moonlight|motivation|motiv|motor|motorist|movement|mud|muscl|myth|nail|nation|nav|needl|nerves|nonsens|novelist|nuisanc|nurser|nut|oak|objection|objectiv|obligation|observation|obsession|offenc|offender|operator|opponent|organizer|origin|outlin|outskirts|overtim|owl|oxygen|pac|packag|pancak|panic|parachut|parad|parliament|partnership|passag|passion|patienc|paw|payment|pedal|penalt|pension|percentag|pharmacist|phas|philosopher|philosoph|pin|pint|pitch|plot|plumber|poison|polic|politeness|pond|popularit|portion|portrait|possession|potential|potter|povert|prawn|prediction|preferenc|prefix|prejudic|presenc|presenter|presidenc|pressur|prevention|prid|confidenc|priorit|privac|procedur|process|producer|production|profil|profit|programming|promotion|proof|proposal|prospect)y?i?e?s?_N

    I know I could make these shorter, but the idea is to not need to manually change individual vocabulary unless it is finds unusual matches.



  • @Joe-Bonner

    I double checked it and it looks like 2046 is the upper limit.
    I had a string with 2046 a’s and an additional b (2047)

    Searching for that whole string and replacing with 1 resulted in 1b
    which, I guess, confirms that the string is truncated after 2046 chars

    I did the same test with 2046 ä’s and an additional b at the end and got the same result.

    But I see, you do regular expression things which means there is an additional
    layer of problems. Take following with a grain of salt (not sure if this is the correct saying - basically should mean double check my info). It has been reported
    that regexes can return wrong result when the regex engine gets overwhelmed.
    So maybe your limit comes from regex engine.

    Correct me if I am wrong, the search window show two colours for what it covered within the search

    Sorry, don’t understand what you are trying to say/ask?

    The result window shows a header line with the current find string,
    next the line with the filename to be searched and then
    lines with the matches. Each line is one match, if a line has multiple matches it would
    report the same line multiple times.
    For example, if I have a content like

    text with text in text
    

    and I’m searching for text I do get a report that line 1 has matched 3 times.
    Each line has a different text colored.



  • I am pretty sure I have worked out that it is the length. It worked to find some stuff but wasn’t find everything in the string. in the search window there is the string and it changes colour for my view (I cant work out how to post a pic here so am using bold=blue italics=green)

    fight_N|figure_N|firefighter_N

    Thanks for your help, I am now just manually going threw all my strings and cutting them down. Pretty sure that it is only when they are too long that I had any problems opening files.

    Cheers!


Log in to reply