OneDrive interactions with Notepad++

• My company has recently mandated that we put our data in the OneDrive location that they’ve set up for us. I suppose this is an attempt to protect company data from loss in the event of a hard drive failure.

Anyway, when starting to do this, I’ve noticed that whenever I have a file open in Notepad++ that is stored on the OneDrive, if I switch away from Notepad++ while working on the file, and then switch back, I get the “This file has been modified by another program. Do you want to reload it?” prompt.

Because I’m good about saving, I have saved the document before switching away, so I feel good (I think!) about answering the prompt with either Yes or No, but…the prompt is still annoying and workflow disrupting.

I don’t want to turn off the externally-modified-reload-prompting in Notepad++, because I need that feature in other work.

I’m getting the feeling this is just a consequence of how OneDrive works, but I’m wondering if any others have experienced this; I can’t recall other postings of this nature.

• @Alan-Kilborn ,

I have never noticed that interaction.

My Peter’s Scratchpad.md that shows in half my screenshots is on my one drive, and I’ve never had a problem with that…

• @PeterJones

Hmmm. Maybe our OneDrive’s are configured differently somehow. I have noticed that if I save my OneDrive doc in N++, and switch away, and then come back, I get the reload prompt, which I then respond to, but then if I don’t make further changes and save them, I can switch back and forth among applications (of course including N++) and I don’t get the prompt.

Something about saving the OneDrive doc triggers OneDrive to do something to make it appear to N++ that things have changed, at the following switch-away-switch-back cycle.