Language style changes when tab view is dragged out of Notepad++
Ali T last edited by
I have a user defined language called Debug that has a number of file extensions associated with it. I have a saved file (with the extension assigned to my UDL) showing in a tabbed window in NPP. If I drag that file out of NPP to create a separate instance of NPP showing the file, the file loses its association with my UDL. When I look in the Language menu, I note that the mark in the menu, that was previously against my UDL to indicate it was selected, has moved to the generic ‘User Defined’ entry. How do I prevent this happening? Interestingly, if I drag a standalone window with my UDL back into the main NPP instance, I do not lose the association with the UDL.
Also, when I click on ‘Languages\User Defined Language\Open user defined language folder…’ it takes me to the AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\userDefinedLangs folder, which shows me the file for userDefinedLang-markdown.default.modern.xml (which I assume relates to the 'Markdown (default) entry in the Languages menu) but it does not show me the file for my Debug UDF. Based on the format of that file-name, I have done a computer wide search for userDefinedLang-debug.default.modern.xml but it does not seem to be anywhere.
PeterJones last edited by PeterJones
If I drag that file out of NPP to create a separate instance of NPP showing the file,
I can confirm, I had a .md file associated with the Markdown UDL, and when I did a RClick on the tab and selected Move To New Instance, it moved to a new window, and stopped being interpreted as a “Markdown” UDL (instead, it just claimed to be the default UDL – ie, Language > User-defined). That sounds like a bug to me, though it might be nice to have another confirmation – wait, it’s already confirmed: issue #3451 -> I added a link to this forum topic, plus my confirmation details. If you are using a different version than what’s already been shown in that issue, please paste your own Debug Info to add more data to the thread.
Also, when I click on ‘Languages\User Defined Language\Open user defined language folder… it does not show me the file for my Debug UDF
Unfortunately, that is the current behavior: when you create a new UDL, Notepad++ saves it as one of the multiple entries in
%AppData%\Notepad++\userDefineLang.xmlrather than as a separate file in
%AppData%\Notepad++\userDefineLangs\folder. The folder was a recent addition to the code, but the developer didn’t change the default save-location to be separate files. I thought just after the changeover to the folder that someone made an issue to request that when you save a new UDL that it gets saved to the folder rather than the old multi-UDL-XML file, but I cannot find such a request. If that’s a feature you want, I recommend submitting the issue (the developers are more likely to implement “normal user” requests rather than requests from “known power users” like me)… if you submit a feature request, please put a link to that request in this topic. Thanks.
Ali T last edited by
Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for letting me know this is already reported as a bug. I’m running NPP v7.8.7 and the bug report has confirmations for v7.9.x so probably no point my adding to this. Thanks for letting me know where the UDL is saved. That’s all I needed to know. My confusion arose from the fact that when I clicked the Layout\User Defined Language\Open User Defined Language folder, said folder would contain my user defined language. How silly of me! :-’) Not very important though so not worth pushing. I imagine the developer has more important issues to deal with.
Alan Kilborn last edited by
the developers are more likely to implement “normal user” requests rather than requests from “known power users” like me
Yes, but for this case it appears that OP isn’t interested enough to do so.
So it could be done by an interested power-user and a link back here ought to show the devs that the request isn’t coming from a known power-user but some other user.