DSpellCheck plugin does not work for json files



  • I have right now the 7.9.5 32 bits version installed and I remember that on a previous version the plugin worked like a marvel, however right now it does not work for json files, but works for fine other types of files.
    I already checked the dictionaries and from this point of view I have everything that I need. I just remember that after an update (do not remember which one), some years ago, the spell check ceased working, and I would like that back, as I have to do translations on pretty long files.
    Does anybody has any advice?
    Thank you



  • @Bogdan-Marin said in DSpellCheck plugin does not work for json files:

    the spell check ceased working, and I would like that back,

    Someone else found the same problem with python files. From the limited testing I did it appears to ONLY work on TXT files. See this thread, although it doesn’t add much.

    Subsequent to that I did find a link that went back to the developer of dspellcheck. I think it was available from within the plugin, using “about”. That’s where the issue needs to be directed. It does appear from other webpages I visited on the matter that it might still be supported so you might get some traction on getting a fix.

    Terry

    PS a temporary solution might be to have a copy of the file as a TXT file so the plugin works. Then you’d have to copy and paste any changes, a bit of a hassle I know.



  • Another alternative is to use the Windows ‘mklink’ command line utility and create a hardlink to the file, assuming an NTFS formatted disk. Mklink will complain if the target disk is not using the NTFS format.

    > mklink /h file.json.txt file.json
    

    There will only be one file using storage space on the disk, but two ways of accessing the contents (be careful if both are opened at the same time; Notepad++ will gladly have both views open at the same time and may warn about changes made using the the other view).

    I use the ‘added’ .txt extension to assist the OS in keeping both views together when using name listings, e.g. “dir”. The Explorer preview pane will show the contents as text (even if the original file isn’t text, e.g., .pdf or .jpg). The extra extension also assists me in remembering which is the real or base file and which is the alternate view I created to get around Windows obsession with extension based file format determination.

    The file will persist (continue to use disk space) until both names are deleted, either from the command line or in Explorer.

    Not all disk space applications understand ‘hardlinks’ and will incorrectly show both files using disk space.


Log in to reply