Function List not working



  • Hi, I’ve been away from coding for a while. I was working with an older version of Notepad++ (7.6.2). I now updated to the newest version.
    I got everything to work except for my custom functionlist parser for my UDL.
    I made a new XML file in the functionList folder and named it the same name as my UDL. Inside, I copied over the XML from the functionList.xml file (which was the source in the previous version of n++), but the functionList is not showing anything.
    Has anything changed in the parser? Is there anything that I missed?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks,
    David

    P.S. If I missed providing any necessary details please let me know which details to provide.



  • Possibly read the user manual section function list with a particular focus on the section “Test your parser” where it mentions the file ‘overrideMap.xml’.



  • @artie-finkelstein - thanks, that helped
    I didn’t realize that the UDL functions had to be manually linked
    Thanks again,
    David



  • Glad I could point you in the right direction.

    My notes are sketchy at best, but it may be related to a change Npp made to the handling of UDLs around August of last year when ‘userDefineLang.xml’ was deprecated and separated into unique files in the userDefineLangs sub-folder (well after 7.6.2 was released).

    As a side note, the documentation has been nicely rewritten since you acquired your previous version and these days it does a very good job of tracking the changes improvements the developers have made to Npp.



  • @artie-finkelstein said in Function List not working:

    My notes are sketchy at best, but it may be related to a change Npp made to the handling of UDLs around August of last year when ‘userDefineLang.xml’ was deprecated and separated into unique files in the userDefineLangs sub-folder (well after 7.6.2 was released).

    Actually, the need for overrideMap came in v7.9.1 in Nov 2020. See the Config Files > Function List section of the usermanual for the difference in how to associate function list to UDL in v7.9.0-and-earlier vs v7.9.1-and-later. (It was v7.6.4 in March 2019 that split the single userDefineLang.xml file into multiple XML in the userDefineLangs subdirectory.)



  • @PeterJones - Thank you for the correction and historical links. I pretty much ignored UDLs and FunctionList until @dinkumoil published UDL and FunctionList XMLs for NppExec, and I have not pursued the intricacies much further.

    It looks like I can also use the updated manual for timeline resolution. Cool. I’ll go RTFM some more now.


Log in to reply