Notepad++ using a lof of CPU

• Hi, I recently installed notepad++ version 8.1.1 and I am noticing that it is constantly using about 17% CPU

screenshot_124.png

I am running Windows 10 on my Surface Studio with an Intel i7 processor and 32gb of Ram.

This is my version of notepad++
    screenshot_125.png

Please let me know if this is normal, and if not, what can I try to do about it.

Thanks,
    David

• @DaveyD ,

I doubt that’s normal. I daily use v8.1.1 and have never seen high CPU usage except when I tell it to do something difficult (like a large search-and-replace).

I wonder if you have a plugin that’s hogging resources, or something.

As always with this type of question, supplying us with ?-menu’s Debug Info will help us know more about your setup (plugins, os build numbers, etc)

• @PeterJones - thanks for that
    Happy to hear that this is not normal… :)
    Here is my debug info:

Notepad++ v8.1.1   (32-bit)
    Build time : Jul  1 2021 - 14:04:28
    Path : C:\Programs\Notepad++ - Copy\notepad++.exe
    Command Line : 
    Admin mode : OFF
    Local Conf mode : ON
    Cloud Config : OFF
    OS Name : Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit) 
    OS Version : 2009
    OS Build : 19042.1110
    Current ANSI codepage : 1255
    Plugins : BetterMultiSelection.dll ColorPicker.dll ComparePlugin.dll DSpellCheck.dll ElasticTabstops.dll Explorer.dll FileSwitcher.dll FingerText.dll LightExplorer.dll LocationNavigate.dll LuaScript.dll mimeTools.dll NavigateTo.dll NppConverter.dll NppExec.dll NppExport.dll NppFTP.dll NppTextFX.dll PythonScript.dll ScrollPastEOFUni.dll SurroundSelection.dll WindowManager.dll XBrackets.dll zoomdisabler.dll _CustomizeToolbar.dll 

If you think that I need to start testing without plugins, Let me know

Thanks,
    David

• @DaveyD said in Notepad++ using a lof of CPU:

If you think that I need to start testing without plugins, Let me know

That’s exactly what I was going to suggest. That’s a lot of plugins you’ve got.

First, start with no plugins; then, if that improves the performance, then you’ll want to start re-enabling plugins one-at-a-time to see who the culprit is.

In case you didn’t know, you can either use the -noPlugin command-line-option, or you could just rename C:\Programs\Notepad++ - Copy\Plugins to something else to disable all plugins (and rename it back to enable them all again). If you want to disable all but one, then go into C:\Programs\Notepad++ - Copy\Plugins, and rename all the folders except the one you want active to something like pluginname.old (that is, add the .old to each folder name)… then later, to re-enable that plugin, you just have to rename it back to the original folder name (remove the .old). (And if it wasn’t clear, exit Notepad++ before renaming the folders, and then re-run the application.)

• @PeterJones - thanks. The weirdest thing happened. I did exactly as you described, one by one and at the end, none of them are an issue because now notepad++ is not using any CPU!!
    I have no clue what happened because before this I tested it several times and each time the CPU usage was the same at about 17%

In any case, better this way than the other… :)

Thanks,
    David

• This problem occurs for me, even no plugins installed. I noted since July 1st update.

• @Rossini-Neto said in Notepad++ using a lof of CPU:

This problem occurs for me, even no plugins installed. I noted since July 1st update.

You didn’t supply the ? > Debug Info. If you’re going to add a “me too” post, it’s best to at least have followed all the advice already given in the discussion.

Other questions:

• Is it only when large files are loaded, or any time? (If so, how large?)
    • Is there a syntax highlighter lexer enabled (ie, is the Language menu selected None (Normal Text) or one of the others. If a different lexer is enabled, if you manually change it to None (Normal Text), does the CPU usage stay high, or does it drop to reasonable levels
    • If you exit and/or reboot, does it stop using large CPU levels?
    • Does it do the same thing if you download and run a portable version of v8.1.2 rather than your installed copy?