any way to recover my data saved in notepad++ in my previous window
Now, I am desperate to recover the contents of that Notepad++ window as it contains valuable information that I cannot afford to lose.
You don’t tell us anything about how you lost that data:
- did you close the tab or close Notepad++ and tell Notepad++ that you didn’t want to save? If so, it did what you told it, and didn’t keep that information anymore
- did you have an OS crash? if so, then the OS probably stopped letting Notepad++ take action, so Notepad++ may not have been able to save, despite trying to. (Look to see if
%AppData%\Notepad++\nppLogNulContentCorruptionIssue.logexists; if so, you might be able to share that with the developers, to help them see if they can improve Notepad++'s behavior to try to overcome aggressive OS crash problems.)
- did you close a saved file, and just don’t know where it was saved? or did Notepad++ forget that you had that file open-but-saved, and you’ve just forgotten where it was? The File menu’s “Recent Files” section will allow you to re-open recently-closed-files, unless Notepad++ has forgotten those, too
Unfortunately, while Notepad++ has certain features to try to save unsaved data, and can be made to do more to make true backups by using the backup-on-save feature or the AutoSave plugin – see our FAQ:
- it will describe those features in more detail, so that you can take an active role in taking responsibility for your critical data by setting those to better work with your workflow, hopefully avoiding data loss in the future
- it gives ideas as to where to look for the current location of backup files, like telling you that the “unsaved data” might be in a file in the
- it mentions an external file recovery application which may help you recover lost data (though we make no guarantees)
I’m sorry for your loss.