Notepad++ v8.5.5 Release
Notepad++ v8.5.5 Release:
Notepad++ v8.5.5 Change log:
- Update to Scintilla 5.3.6 and Lexilla 5.2.6 (Implement #13940, fix #4741, #13901, #13943, #13911)
- Add change history navigation commands: Go to next/prev change & Clear change history. (Fix #12248)
- Fix Change History incorrect display after “Reload from Disk” command. (Fix #12319, #12261, #13735)
- Remember through sessions the directory of “Remember last used directory”. (Fix #11326, #10901, #4961, #4119)
- Fix regression of double clicking on find result not going to the document. (Fix #13636)
- Fix regression of opening file rejection if file name contains dot at the end. (Fix #12849)
- Fix error message of opening file with ‘=’ as end of file name. (Fix #13344)
- Fix menu Tools contains 2 SHA-256 item while using localization. (Fix #13797)
- Fix SHA-1 hash result wrong length bug while “Treat each line as a separate string” enabled. (Fix #13812)
- Add SHA-512 hash features (Fix #13805)
- Fix normal.xml for Normal text auto-completion not working issue. (Fix #12325)
- Fix Korean IME append file extension issue in save dialog. (Fix #11582, #12225, #12366)
- Make find/replace in files result more accurate while used RegExpr is invalid. (Fix #13164)
- Fix Project panel’s inaccurate initialized path in save dialog. (Fix #13086)
- Fix wrong syntax highlighting of URLs with quotes in JSON. (Fix #13522)
- Fix Clipboard History panel shows corrupted data issue. (Fix #13817, #13844)
- Improve lines sorting memory consumption. (Fix #10435)
- Enhance “Add new document at startup”: add new document only when the session is remembered. (Fix #13796)
- Enhance “Convert case to Proper Case” command: fix the error conversion after quote.
Enjoy this new release!
- Make find/replace in files result more inaccurate while used RegExpr is invalid. (Fix #13164)
I think the phrasing here should be “more accurate”…unless…? :-)
- Add change history navigation commands: Go to next/prev change & Clear change history.
A little visual on this:
Hi @donho ,
I am facing an interesting problem after upgrading Notepad++ to the latest version. It is related to the change of commit ‘Enable optimization flags & CET’.
To break it down: Due to the change
plugins may cause a crash if they catch an exception internally. I am clearly able to reproduce this with my PlantUMLViewer plugin. During its initialization, it catches an IOEcxception. Due the CETCOMPAT feature enabled, Notepad++ detects this as a violation and stops without any further information.
More details about the feature:
- Developer Guidance for Hardware-enforced Stack Protection
- /guard:ehcont (Enable EH Continuation Metadata)
I was not able to find a better solution yet than disabling CETCOMPAT for the Notepad++ build. I assume other plugins could be affected as well here.
Do you have an idea how to deal with this? Maybe its better to disable the feature again?
@Fruchtzwerg94 Hello, With N++ 8.5.5 I have been facing also problems with my SQLinForm Plugin 64 bit version https://community.notepad-plus-plus.org/topic/24810/sqlinform-x64-crashes-with-n-8-5-5 . The plugin crashes without any specific error message. Could you please show me how I can find out if the SQLinForm Problem is also related to CETCOMPAT Flag. Can I myself change the CETCOMPAT Flag?
Can I myself change the CETCOMPAT Flag?
If you’re running Windows 11, you can try this:
- Start the Run dialog:
⊞ (Windows key) + R. Enter
windowsdefender:and click “OK”
- From the left-hand menu, click “App & browser control”
- In the “Exploit protection” section, click Exploit protection settings
- Select the “Program settings” tab
- Click “＋ Add program to customize” and choose an option, “program name” or “exact path”
- Depending on your choice, enter
Notepad++in the input box, or navigate to the
notepad++.exefile in the explorer
- In the menu that appears, find “Validate exception chains (SEHOP)”, choose “Override system settings” and slide the radio button to “Off”
You should do the same for “Control Flow Guard (CFG)” and “Validate heap integrity”, but I would apply all overrides one-by-one to pin down which is effective, if any.
If @Fruchtzwerg94 is right and the issue really is Control Enhancement (CET), then Win 11 users are more likely to encounter it, as the comments on this related GitHub issue suggest. Exploit mitigation features like CET are enabled by default on Win 11, whereas Win 10 users have to manually activate them. Hardened security was, after all, the main selling point of the new OS.
- Start the Run dialog:
@rdipardo Many thanks for these instructions.
I first was able to reproduce the crash from the 64bit SQLinForm Plugin together with N++ 8.5.5 , which has been reported by a plugin user, on my Desktop PC (Windows 11) in my office.
Now I am in holiday with my Notebook (Windows 11) and can’t reproduce the error anymore.
So, I think I first should be able to reproduce the crash on my Notebook and then in a seconde step try to make it working again using your instructions.
I have just pushed a new commit which fixes plugin crash into master here:
Please let me know if it fixes your problem.
But I am in holiday for 2 weeks and took my Notebook with me and I am not able to reproduce the issue on my Notebook (Windows 11) . Therefore I can’t unfortunately confirm that the fix does the trick.
But once the new exe is available for download I can ask the SQLinForm Plugin User, who reported the issue, to inform me about the results.
When will the new exe be available for public download?
Notepad++ v8.5.5 does not open at all for me. A terminal window flashes, but after that nothing and no new process running. I uninstalled v8.5.5 and reinstalled v8.5.4, and notepad++ runs just fine. Has anyone else experienced this?
@shridhar-singh Yes, this is most propably related to the discussion above. You can try to remove some plugins to the one who is responsible for that or just wait for the next Notepad++ release which fixes it.
Is this the right place to report on a possible application incompatibility after the Version 8.5.5 update?
I’ve done quite extensive debug testing and troubleshooting on an issue which arose after 8.5.5.
In short, Notepad++ simply won’t visibly open when being opened from another application which uses VFS (Virtual File System). I say “visibly” because when looking at debug logs, the program seems to open before closing or crashing right after.
Downgrading to 8.5.4 fixes the incompatibility issue.
Kindly let me know if you’d like me to share my more extensive troubleshooting, thanks!
FYI, v8.5.6 is released:
I can confirm updating to 8.5.6 fixed my issue!